9.09.2013

Letting Go.

I recently had the opportunity to meet with a business owner who has been at the helm of a growing and profitable business for almost three years.  I could tell by talking with him that he was very proud of what he had accomplished in that time....and why shouldn't he be?  His business doubled from 2011 to 2012 and he is considering opening a second location.

In speaking with this gentleman, it became clear that like the rest of us he started out wearing all the hats.  As he grew, he hired someone to first answer the telephones....then someone to work at the front desk...and finally other professionals who could do what he was doing.  His final relinquishment...the tax returns.  What I saw was a business owner who prepares his own tax returns. Why, you might ask?  He has an accounting degree along with a past career in a very complex area of finance.  This man had actually "made it" more than once, which is such a fantastic accomplishment.  He feels as though he is qualified to do them.

The roadblocks he is facing are the same ones we all face at some point in our entrepreneurial journeys.  What do I have to let go of so I can grow?  Even though I "can" do this task, is it the best and highest use of my time?  Am I ready to let someone else who is an expert at this task step in and free up my time to be an entrepreneur again?

Letting go is very difficult to do, but not letting go also has it's down side.

I know this business owner will be successful whether or not he works with my firm.  I just hate to see business owners feeling stuck and overwhelmed when I know I can help them.



No comments:

Post a Comment