1.25.2012

Coaching...Not Just for Overpaid Football Players

I don't know about you, but the first time I heard the term "coaching" as applied to a business relationship, I squinted my eyes a little bit and thought "Who would do that?"  I guess that was at the beginning of my career in public accounting, 18 years ago.  Then, I immediately thought, "Even if I wanted to, how could I spare the time?"

Over the years I have worked with some wonderful clients and colleagues who call themselves Business Coaches or Life Coaches, and I was able to see first-hand just how the process worked.  It wasn't all new-age and ambiguous...it worked, it revealed things about a client's business and personality that led to revelations, and it was so worth the time and expense to take part.  People raved about it. They actually scheduled these sessions like meetings, made them a priority, and benefited. But I still hadn't been involved in a coaching session....

Until this past summer.  I joined a coaching course with my "CPA-Brother", Jason Blumer, and I had the opportunity to experience it first hand.  I made the time a priority, completed the coursework, and became very intentional about it. This coaching course was comprised of several CPA's from all over the country, and we participated via the internet and our computers/headsets/microphones....we were able to see each other during the sessions, we shared ideas and goals, and we all uncovered things about our respective careers that led to improvements in our lives.  Not just work, but our personal lives as well.  And I was inspired....

So inspired, that I have prepared an agenda for a coaching course of my own, one that will be offered to my business clients in the coming weeks.  I am VERY excited about the sessions, as I believe they will add value to my clients so they can, in turn, add value to their clients....and so on.  We will cover a broad range of topics, including defining success, determining who you want in your team, how to use technology to make your life easier, how to interpret your numbers and judge performance by tracking key performance indicators...it will be enlightening and thought-provoking, to say the least.  No homework, no accounting-speak, no tax law discussions....just talking among other professionals and learning.

I have come to realize that my profession really is a "pay it forward" proposition.  I genuinely enjoy sharing what I know with my clients, so they can experience a richer quality of life, and then they can pass it on.  Look for the announcement about the sessions, and please contact me if you're interested.  It will be well-worth the time and expense, I promise you. I would love to have you join us!

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan, you were a leader in that group because of all of your experience and commitment to your clients. I learned so much from you.

    This will change your client's lives and I can't wait to hear the stores you inspire from your clients. You rock, "cpa-brother!"

    ReplyDelete