10.06.2011

Value - In the Eye of the Beholder

Value....defined as the worth, importance, or usefulness of something to somebody.

Okay, my first thought when reading that definition is that value is totally subjective.  What I find valuable may not be what you find valuable.  Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

As a service provider, and someone who is in the business of providing an experience along with that service, I think about value all the time.  I have discovered over time that to truly understand what a client finds valuable requires a little work and maybe a little creativity.  I started asking a question, which was recommended by one of my THRIVEal coaching course classmates...."If you had to envision the perfect relationship between my firm and your business, what would that look like?"  I love the answers I get, and those answers tell me a lot about what the client finds valuable.

Here is an example of a relationship I find valuable within my firm.  I value my IT provider, Dee McCraw with the McCraw Corporation.  I value his staff as well, from the very nice young lady who answers the telephone to the technician who comes to my office when I have a problem.  I value these folks because (1) I can't tend to my own IT issues; (2) if I could tend to them, I probably wouldn't want to spend my time doing it because I have other things to do; (3) they are quick to respond to me when I need them; and (4) they treat me like I hope I treat my clients, and like I expect to be treated.  Dee is proactive.

It takes work and intent to impart value to a client.  Do you agree?  Why is it so hard?

I found out that I didn't do a great job of imparting value to my business clients when I proposed to a client that I perform CFO Services for them, and they replied with "Wow, I didn't know you guys did that!"  Oooohhhh, that hurt!  Why didn't he know?  Was it because he hadn't visited my website lately?  It wouldn't have helped because it's not that obvious on my website.  The blame rested with me.  I had never told him that we offered the service.  I knew I had struck a nerve with him because he immediately wanted the service....he found it VALUABLE.  He understood what my firm could offer, because I explained it in painful detail to him.  He understood what sort of value it would bring to his life because now he could focus on working ON his business and not IN it.  To most small business owners, that's a value-added proposition!  I know it is to me!

As I discover new strengths within my firm, I find that capitalizing on those strengths and making sure to enrich my clients' lives by sharing the information imparts value.  My industry has not always been known as a "sharing" environment.  CPAs in the past have very closely guarded their client lists and office procedures because that's all they feel they have of any value.  I can't tell you how many clients have thanked me for showing them something that may come second nature to me, but totally changed how they approached a challenge in their office.  If I can add a few minutes of precious time to your day, I have accomplished something.

No matter how intangible it may seem, it's our job to make sure that clients understand the value of what we bring to the table.  Because you know what?  If we do our job, then we ARE valuable to our clients!  That's not bragging, either. You have to believe it, promise it, then you better deliver on that promise.  As I have said, I do believe I am an asset to my clients when I do my job properly. If you see my name, and immediately think, "Man, I like what that Godwin guy does for me.  He makes my life easier and takes care of my business..." then I have succeeded.

And if none of this works, then I'll give you lots of Godwin pens and coffee mugs so you can see my name everywhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment